Data Security & Protection Toolkit
As a care provider, you know how important it is to have access to good information about the people you support and your staff. In order to share, and share that information safely, you need to be confident that your paper and digital records are secure.
The programme will help you to evaluate and improve your data and cyber security. This means you can reassure the people you support and their families, your staff, commissioners, regulators and health and care partners, that you are following good practices – meeting legal and regulatory requirements.
What is the DSPT?
The DSPT is an online self-assessment toolkit that helps demonstrate your commitment to good data and cyber security plus meeting legal and regulatory requirements. All CQC registered care providers should complete the DSPT at least once per year regardless of service type or size.
The Toolkit will ask a series of questions around four areas – Staffing and Roles, Polices and Procedures, Data Security, IT systems and devices.
Each question will come with a detailed explanation. Each question will have links to more detailed articles, templates and videos.
By using the DSPT on an annual basis and reaching Standards Met you will be able to:
- Reassure people who use your services, their families and your staff that you’re managing their information safely. Most people expect you to share information with others who support them – but you must do this securely and legally.
- Answer CQC’s questions around managing people’s data.
- Meet legal requirements under The Data Protection Act 2018, GDPR and the 10 Data Security Standards.
- Meet contractual requirements – for providers who deliver services under an NHS contract.
Completing the DSPT will allow access to a variety of services:
- GP connect
- Proxy access for medication ordering
- Proxy access for GP records
- Summary care records
- Digital red bag
Completing the DSPT also allows access to the Digitisation of Social Care teams funding for the adoption of Digital Social Care Records and Falls Prevention Technology.
Free support is available!
Our Project Delivery Officer, Daniel Plummer is the Local Support Officer for the DSPT in Somerset and can help you with every stage of the DSPT – From registering through to publishing. Please contact Daniel for 1-1 support and advice – email@example.com
Daniel also hosts a series of online workshops around data and cyber security that will help you understand and complete the DSPT. Please see our events page or member bulletins for more details.
RCPA hosts a limited series of in person workshops throughout the year. Please keep an eye out on our events page and member bulletins.